Shrine of St. Frideswide, Christ Church Cathedral Oxford.

Saturday, March 24, 2012

Feast of the Annunciation, March 25

The Annunciation (by myself). The iPod replaces the more traditional book which Mary holds for a modern twist.

The Feast of the Annunciation celebrates the visitation of the Angel Gabriel to tell the Blessed Virgin Mary that she would bear the son of God and was to name him Jesus, meaning Savior. The feast is celebrated exactly nine months before Christmas illustrating the perfection of Christ even in birth. It was St. Luke the Evangelist who after the Resurrection and Pentecost interviewed Mary and recorded the Annunciation, the Nativity and the birth of John the Baptist in his Gospel. The Angelus,which goes over the Annunciation as a prayer is as follows:
V. The angel of the Lord declared unto Mary.
R. And she conceived by the power of Holy Spirit.
Hail Mary, full of grace, the Lord is with thee. Blessed art thou among women, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb, Jesus. Holy Mary, Mother of God, pray for us sinners, now and at the hour of our death. Amen.
V. Behold the handmaid of the Lord.
R. Be it done unto me according to your Word.
Hail Mary...
V. And the Word was made flesh.
R. And dwelt among us.
Hail Mary...
V. Pray for us, O Holy Mother of God.
R. That we may be made worthy of the promises of Christ.
Let us pray: Pour forth, we beseech thee, O Lord, Thy grace into our hearts, that we to whom the incarnation of Christ Thy Son was made known by the message of an angel, may by His Passion and Cross be brought to the glory of His resurrection; through the same Christ our Lord. Amen.

And my favorite Annunciation hymn. Medieval Basque tune and words.

The angel Gabriel from Heaven came,
His wings as drifted snow, his eyes as flame;
“All hail,” said he, “thou lowly maiden Mary,
Most highly favored lady,” Gloria!

“For know a blessèd mother thou shalt be,
All generations laud and honor thee,
Thy Son shall be Emmanuel, by seers foretold,
Most highly favored lady,” Gloria!

Then gentle Mary meekly bowed her head,
“To me be as it pleaseth God,” she said,
“My soul shall laud and magnify His holy Name.”
Most highly favored lady, Gloria!

Of her, Emmanuel, the Christ, was born
In Bethlehem, all on a Christmas morn,
And Christian folk throughout the world will ever say—
“Most highly favored lady,” Gloria!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xKQIomtXXkc 

10 comments:

  1. The Anunciation with Ipod is pure genius.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Max, this is an incredible image. We'd love to use it as part of our church's online advent calendar, to accompany a young lady singing a contemporary version of the Magnificat. Would you allow it? www.digitaladventcalendar.co.uk
    Roo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello Max,

    I am totally awed by this piece of artwork. Would you allow permission to use it on a blog I am writing for my youth group on Advent? Please let me know. Thank you so much.

    Teresa

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Max

    I love this artwork - very inspired and inspiring. I am using it for my theology class and wanted to give you full credit. Would you mind sharing your last name. I am an artist too and I don’t like using work without referencing the artist or writer.
    Pat

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Max.
    May I please have your permission to use with out students and staff for prayer?
    Thank you for sharing your gifts with us.
    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  6. the image of Mary with the ipod is fantastic, I would love to use this image, is it possible? can I buy permission somewhere

    ReplyDelete
  7. Although I'm sure the artist was well-meaning, I think this image is very sacrilegious. To envision the Virgin Mary as someone entranced by the Ipod--and so engrossed that she could only remove ONE ear bud to listen to the most important news ever brought to the human race? Unbelievably blasphemous. This just shows how poorly understood the truths of our faith are by the current generation. Shameful.

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is a great picture! I’d love to share it with my youth group and friends on Instagram as part of our advent devotion. May I please have permission?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dear Max,
    I am a minister in The Netherlands and would share this with my congregation this sunday. It will be on the order of service to go with my sermon. May I have your permission please? Please let me know.

    ReplyDelete